It is critical to keep your home secure from thugs, porch pirates, and even sauntering animals. This is mainly to ensure the safety of you and your family. This has recently seen the growth of security camera installation in many homes. However, the cameras are the corded security ones. But the corded security cameras can turn off when the power goes out, leaving you vulnerable. This will automatically compromise your security. This is where the solar-powered security cameras come in. Battery-powered security cameras can be a good option for avoiding this issue. But unless you keep charging, the cameras will eventually become just as ineffective with time.
Solar-powered security cameras use an internal battery to store energy from ambient sunlight. This is regardless of whether the sky is partly cloudy or the sun is shining brilliantly. So, the solar panel will collect energy in both conditions and store it. This will then be of great use when the sun goes down and there is no sunlight energy. The camera will operate on an internal battery. This is an assurance that you are secure even when the lights are off. In this article, we dive into the best solar-powered security cameras. You will also get to learn about what to consider before you buy the camera. To get more information about solar-powered cameras, read the article up to the end.
- The 10 Best Solar Powered Security Camera Reviews
- 1) Ring Solar Camera
- 2) Reolink Argus Eco With Solar Panel
- 3) Reolink Argus Pro Solar Panel
- 4) ieGeek ZS-GX2S Power IP Surveillance Home Camera
- 5) ZUMIMALL ZM-WFA3K Solar Powered Surveillance Camera
- 6) Zumimall ZM-GX1K Solar Powered Surveillance Camera
- 7) YESKAMO Outdoor Rechargeable Battery Wi-Fi Camera
- 8) Conico ZS-GX5S Wireless Solar Powered Home IP Camera
- 9) Ankway Solar Security Camera Outdoor
- 10) REOLINK 4G wireless security camera
- Features To Consider When Choosing The Best Solar Powered Security Cameras
- How To Get The Most Out Of Solar-Powered Security Cameras?
- Final Recap
The 10 Best Solar Powered Security Camera Reviews
1) Ring Solar Camera
If you want to have some peace of mind all the time, this is the best solar-powered security camera that you should buy. This is because it allows you to see, speak, and even hear people from your phone even when you are miles away from your home. Whether you are using your smartphone or tablet, you will be able to do this seamlessly. Besides this, the security camera comes with privacy features. Here, you will be able to customize privacy zones and all the audios you want to hear. As a result, you will be able to focus more on what is relevant to you. Here are other incredible features that make this camera great:
- It comes with a live view that allows you to know what is happening in your home in real-time.
- The camera comes with a Ring Protect Plan that allows you to record all the videos on the go. Besides this, you will be able to review any video you missed for up to 60 days. In addition, you will be able to share all the photos and videos recorded with friends and family.
- This model comes with a versatile mounting bracket that allows you to place it on any flat surface.
- When it comes to installation, this security camera does not disappoint as the entire process is very easy to undertake. All you need to do is to plug it to the solar panel and then connect to your home’s Wi-Fi.
2) Reolink Argus Eco With Solar Panel
To start with, this security camera works well with Google Assistant. Therefore, you will be able to instruct it remotely to do a number of things. From showing you how the backyard is to how your compound is, there are many things this camera can do for you remotely. Besides being able to instruct it remotely, you will be able to see live feeds from this model. The good news is that all the photos and videos recorded by this camera are of high quality. In fact, this camera is known to provide a clear vision up to 33 feet. Here are other incredible features that may mesmerize you:
- Unlike other security cameras, this one is wireless.
- The model boasts of having a rechargeable battery that can last for one year.
- This camera can be placed anywhere one pleases.
- The process of setting up the Relink app is generally easy and straightforward. All you need to do is to follow the voice instructions, and you will be good to go.
- The camera allows you to get instant App push notifications and email alerts. Besides this, you will get sound alarms whenever the camera detects any motion within your compound.
- This model comes with a free cloud plan where you will enjoy cloud storage of 1GB. Here, you will be able to review videos that were recorded 7 days ago.
- The Reolink app that works with this camera is available on both Android and iOS platforms.
- The security camera comes with a 2-year warranty from the manufacturer.
3) Reolink Argus Pro Solar Panel
The camera mentioned above comes with a solar panel and a rechargeable battery. Besides this, the camera can readily be placed anywhere you pleases. Here are other features that set this camera apart:
- The security camera is easy to install. All you need to do is to follow the instructions provided in the set-up, and you will be good to go. Within a few minutes, you will be done with the installation process.
- This model is weatherproof and can therefore be placed even outside your home.
- It comes with a night vision feature that allows you to see up to 33 feet at night. During the day, the camera is able to collect videos with 1920×1080 resolution.
- This model has a built-in micro SD card slot where you can install a memory card of up to 64GB. Although the memory card is sold separately, you will be able to store all your recordings here and review them later.
- It features a 2-way audio. Here, you will be able to see, hear and even talk to those people in your home remotely.
- The security camera comes with a built-in PIR motion sensor. This way, there will be no false alarms due to fallen leaves, rain or even insects. As a result, you will enjoy better monitoring as only essential details will be captured.
4) ieGeek ZS-GX2S Power IP Surveillance Home Camera
This model is worth the money as it comes with a solar panel and rechargeable batteries whose capacity is 15000 mAh. Since these batteries are rechargeable, you will not have to remove and replace them with new ones. After all, the solar panel is there to charge them whenever their charge gets depleted. Here are other features that make this security camera awesome:
- The security camera comes in a wireless design.
- When it comes to the installation process, the camera does not disappoint as it is easy to install.
- This model boasts of having a night vision feature that allows you to see up to 65 feet at night.
- The security camera has 4 IR lights that are able to switch to night vision mode after sensing ambiance light.
- When it comes to surveillance, this camera is helpful as it can rotate up to 130 degrees. As a result, you will be able to monitor any place you please.
- This model comes with optimized algorithms that are able to reduce false alarms.
- It comes with a built-in photo-diode that allows you to get instant alerts.
- The two-way audio feature that comes with this model allows you to hear, and even talk with those who are at your home remotely.
- This model is waterproof and can therefore withstand harsh weather conditions.
5) ZUMIMALL ZM-WFA3K Solar Powered Surveillance Camera
The camera mentioned above is eco-friendly as it comes with a solar panel and a rechargeable battery. This feature makes it more cost-effective. Here are other features that make this camera great:
- It comes with smart PIR motion detectors that enable you to get notifications that matter.
- It boasts of having an advanced optic lens that allows you to capture stunning images any time of the day. Besides this, the camera can readily with to night vision and allow you to see clearly objects that are 33 feet away from the camera at night.
- The camera comes with a 2-way audio feature that allows you to hear and speak to -those people in your home, regardless of your current location.
- The camera also comes with a multi-user sharing feature. With this feature, your family members can also utilize this camera with utmost precision.
- It features an SD card slot where you can install a memory card. Here you will be able to store all the videos and photos captured by the camera. Besides this, there is a cloud storage where you can store this information safely.
6) Zumimall ZM-GX1K Solar Powered Surveillance Camera
To reduce your energy bills by a large margin, this security camera comes with a solar panel and a powerful rechargeable battery whose capacity is 15000 mAh. With these features in place, you will not have to worry about power anymore. The camera will be working optimally even when there is a blackout in your home. Besides this, here are other features that make this camera a perfect choice for you:
- The security camera comes in a wireless design, thereby making it more modern. In fact, it comes with 2 enhanced 4dBi antennas that are able to provide the much-needed 2.4 GHz WI-Fi connection.
- It boasts of having PIR motion detectors that allow you notifications that matter. In this case, it will be able to capture movements of human beings and not insects or even birds.
- When in use, this camera allows you to get instant notifications on your phone or tablet.
- The above-mentioned camera comes with a 2-way audio feature that allows you to talk and listen to those people at home, even when you are several miles away. Unlike other cameras, this one comes with noise cancellation speakers and a mic. As a result, you will be able to hear what the other person is saying clearly.
- The multiple account sharing feature makes this camera ideal as anyone at home or within your family can view what is happening irrespective of his or her location.
- Since it is equipped with four infrared LEDs, you will be able to see sharp images at night. In fact, you will enjoy a clear vision up to 55 feet under low-light intensity.
7) YESKAMO Outdoor Rechargeable Battery Wi-Fi Camera
If you are looking for a security camera that comes in a wireless design, look no further as this camera is the ultimate solution for you. Besides being wireless, this camera is also solar-powered and comes with 4 Panasonic 18650 rechargeable batteries. Since these batteries have a capacity of 15000 mAh, they can store charge for longer hours. Here are other features that make this security camera awesome:
- This camera works well with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.
- It is equipped with dual antennas that enhance the Wi-Fi signal. As a result, you will be able to enjoy a more stable wireless connection.
- The security camera is waterproof and thus can withstand harsh weather conditions.
- By investing in this camera, you will enjoy real-time protection as you will get notifications on the go.
- Since the camera has a noise cancellation speakers and a mic, you will be able to hear and even speak to the people in your home clearly.
- Its PIR sensor ensures that you get notifications that really matter.
- When it comes to night vision, this security camera does not disappoint as it comes with a 4 pieces of infrared LEDs that turn on whenever ambient light is not enough. Consequently, you will be able to see clear images even in darkness. Surprisingly, you will be able to see objects that are 65 feet away from this camera.
- The camera comes with a user-friendly that works both on Android and iPhone platforms.
- It supports SD card and cloud storage options. Both options can help you store all the photos captured and videos recorded by this camera.
8) Conico ZS-GX5S Wireless Solar Powered Home IP Camera
The security mentioned above camera comes with a powerful battery and a solar panel. The battery that comes with this security camera has a capacity of 15000 mAh. The good news is that this battery is rechargeable. As a result, you do not have to remove and replace batteries every now and then. Besides this, you will save more on energy as the security camera is solar-powered. Even when there is a blackout, the camera will work optimally. Here are other features that make this security camera great:
- The camera comes with PIR motion detectors that enable you to get notifications of the things that really matter.
- This model allows you to get alerts on the go on your mobile device.
- As far as the night vision is concerned, this camera is excellent, thanks to its 4 infrared LEDs. Here, you will be able to see everything even under low light intensities.
- When it comes to the installation process, this security camera does not disappoint as it is easy to install. Besides being easy to install, it provides a better and stable connectivity. In fact, with a 2.4G wireless router, you will be able to operate this camera.
9) Ankway Solar Security Camera Outdoor
Unlike other security cameras, this one comes with a more powerful battery that has a higher capacity than the rest. In fact, its capacity is 18000 mAh. Besides this, the battery is rechargeable. It is important to note that the model has 6 batteries of this caliber in total. Since there is a solar panel to charge the batteries, you will no longer have to worry about blackouts and so forth. Here are other desirable features of this security camera:
- The camera offers excellent night vision thanks to its 2 Infrared LEDs and 4 light LEDs.
- This model is waterproof and can therefore work well in an outdoor environment with harsh weather conditions.
- It features 2 enhanced 4 dBi antennas that offer the much-needed Wi-Fi connectivity.
- This camera comes with a built-in radar and a high sensitivity motion sensor that allow you to get the notifications that actually matter. In fact, this camera is made such that it will only detect human motion and then sent instant alerts to your mobile device.
- The model allows you to either save the videos and photos in a memory card or in a cloud storage service.
- Since the camera comes with a built-in mic and speakers, you will be able to have an easy time whenever you are communicating with your family members at home.
- Finally, this camera comes with a multiple account sharing feature where anyone can view what is happening at home from his or her current location.
10) REOLINK 4G wireless security camera
Like its name suggests, the above-mentioned camera can work well with both 4G LTE and 3G GSM network connectivity. This versatility makes it an ideal option for many people. Besides this, the camera comes with a solar panel and rechargeable battery whose capacity is 7800 mAh. Since the camera is solar powered, you will not have to worry whether there is a blackout in your home or not. This also helps you save more on the overall energy costs. Here are other features that make this camera excellent:
- Unlike other cameras, this one is portable.
- The camera is weatherproof, thereby making it ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.
- When it comes to night vision, this camera does not disappoint as it allows you to see images that are as far as 33ft from the camera. All this is made possible by its starlight CMOS image sensor feature.
- It is easy to install and use.
- The model comes with a 2-way audio feature that allows you to listen and talk interactively with those whom you love.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- The security camera comes with a multiple account sharing feature that allows you to share this camera with up to 10 family members. By doing this, they will also be able to watch the live view simultaneously.
Features To Consider When Choosing The Best Solar Powered Security Cameras
It is critical to consider several factors before you get a solar-powered camera. Some of this includes capacity and data transmission. It is of no benefit that you buy a camera and gives you blurry captions. So, here are some of the factors that you need to consider before you place your order.
1) Solar Panel capacity
Solar panel capacity simply means the quantity of energy the unit can collect and store in a store. Averagely, solar panels can be less or more efficient. Note that most average solar-powered security cameras have one or two solar panels. The panels can power the camera for about 6 to 8 hours. This is the minimum amount of time the battery needs to store enough energy.
The storage capacity for a battery is in mAh. The capacity varies depending on the features that need power in the cameras. Some of the features can be two-way audio, Wi-Fi connections, and night vision. But as said, an average camera takes 6 to 8 hours to charge. The charge will be enough for about 1 week to 3 months without recharging.
2) Data transmission
Security cameras come with internal memories that store recorded audio and video snippets. This is not different with solar-powered security cameras. The SD cards are then transferred to a computer when you want to copy the data. However, wireless connections are common with security cameras nowadays. This feature has definitely eased the data management with computer, phone, or tablet. You only need a Wi-Fi connection.
If you live in areas where there is unreliable Wi-Fi, you can use 3G and 4G network to transmit the data. The security cameras feature the same service as the phone does. This is an advantage when your area does not have a reliable Wi-Fi connection.
3) Image resolution
Image resolution is key in any video capturing device. When you are looking at the footage, definitely you will want to have quality images. This will make it easy for you to distinguish characteristics in each case in case of vandalism or theft. If you want to get the best image capture, you will have to invest in good camera quality. The cameras range from 780 Pixels and 1080 resolution. This is not the only camera quality in the market. There are cameras with higher resolutions available in the market. However, for normal camera capturing it may not be necessary.
Here are some of the qualities that you can find:
- 780-p resolution is usually seen in lower-end products but it is one of the best. The cameras can produce the relatively best qualities.
- 1080-p resolution is standard for a higher percentage of available solar-powered security cameras. This allows you to transmit video in higher definition. So, you can clearly see and determine the characteristics of the captured image. This includes height or eye color.
4) Design and waterproof rate
There are two categories that these security cameras are normally sorted. It is normally based on shape and design. It also includes bullets and a dome.
- Bullet security cameras: They have a tubular shape and a wide field of vision that has a fixed view. It is normally adjusted manually or with a remote. You will commonly find these cameras in the front and back of entrances. They have motion-sensing and night vision capabilities.
- Dome security cameras: They do have a smaller field of vision compared to bullets. But they can operate on a near 360-degree rotation. This can actually give them almost complete coverage. These capabilities make them a great option for commercial and industrial settings. You can as well find them in residential setups. But the dome cameras designed for home use are typically less robust. This is in comparison with those made for commercial and industrial applications.
Therefore, you need to look at the waterproof rating of the camera. This is the only assurance that the camera will work outdoors. The rating in this case is normally provided in the IPXX format. The IP stands for ingress protection. The first X do represent the debris resistance. This ranges from large solid objects like leaves to minute solid objects. Another range that you can take is dust to sand. The second X represents the waterproof rating. This ranges from not water-resistant at all to submerge in several feet of water. This is for extended periods. Generally, you would want to have a solar-powered security camera with IPX5. This will give you confidence that it will not shut-in case there is heavy rain.
5) Compatibility and feature
Compatibility is the main feature to look at before you buy a solar-powered camera. You will need to know if the camera will be compatible with the existing Wi-Fi, phones, or 4G service provider. This information you will find in the product specification. Your seller can also give you the information.
Note that these security cameras can work with any type of Wi-Fi. However, this is not the case with 3G and 4G networks. The integration capability with smartphones is something uncommon. You only need to certify that the camera will function as expected.
Another common feature with these cameras is the two-way talk. This enables you to communicate via a built-in microphone and speakers on the camera. You can actually have a conversation with the person at your porch whilst you are at work. Also, you need to look at the camera that can detect motion as well as night vision capabilities. This is an assurance that your home will be safe the whole night. There is PIR motion detection that detects if the object detected is human. This is with the aid of computer algorithms that can help in the implementation of that. This means that there will no notification in case it senses the object is not human.
Another key feature is the installation. The process varies in different products despite the process being an easy one. This is because these types of cameras do not need you to have a wired connection. You can mount them at the point of your choice, for example, brick wall or roof.
You only need to ensure that the solar is places at a position where it can receive enough sunlight daily. If you expose it to more sunlight, it will be more effective. This is because it will be absorbing and recharging the battery assuring you of long service.
How To Get The Most Out Of Solar-Powered Security Cameras?
1) Clean the Panel
Solar panel absorb sunlight and converts it into electricity. The light energy is normally absorbed through a glass panel. So, this means it will not be efficient if the solar panel has got some dirt or dust in it. So, you need to keep on cleaning the panel front periodically. This will ensure that your panel is absorbing maximum light. Make sure when rubbing the glass panel, you do not use the material that can scrub the glass. This is because this will be reflecting light away hence reducing the efficiency. You will need to use a soft material when cleaning.
2) Keep it cool
Yes, the solar panel needs to have direct contact with direct sunlight. But this is not the case with rechargeable solar batteries. These batteries get damaged easily when you expose them to high temperatures. If you live in areas that have high temperatures, you may opt for cameras with separate solar panels. This will enable you to have the solar panel in the sunlight while the other unit in a separate cooler place.
3) Do not wait for an emergency
Indeed, these devices do not need a lot of maintenance. However, you do not need to install it and forget about it. You need to keep on checking it periodically. This is to ensure that your camera is receiving maximum light supply. Also, this will ensure that the camera is running properly. If the Wi-Fi goes down when it stabilizes check if the camera connected back properly. You do not need to wait for an alert notification that the camera has been off for quite some time. Check the storage capacity of the camera. This way it will help you get the best service from your devices. Besides, your security will be obviously guaranteed if you know the status of the camera.
As we have seen solar-powered cameras are more economical to use than electric ones. This simply because you do not need to pay a lot of bills. These type of security cameras uses sunlight energy to produce electricity. The generated energy then powers the camera. However, you need to get the best when it comes to security cameras. If you follow the above factors, definitely you will arrive at the best camera. We believe that the points above meet your expectations. Besides, you can use them to help you choose the best solar-powered security camera.