Honeywell thermostats are reputable devices found in many homes to regulate the temperature using batteries and AC power. When activated, these devices connect with the heating units and air conditioning unit to regulate the temperatures of a home. During the summer or hot temperature, this device regulates the home temperature by activating air conditioner while in winter, it regulates home temperature by activating the heating unit.
However, note that Honeywell thermostat needs a battery replacement once in a while. If your device uses batteries as the main source of power, it needs a battery replacement frequently. However, if it uses a combination of battery and AC power, you should change your battery at least once per two years. If you need to know more on how to change batteries on a Honeywell thermostat, this guide is here for you. We have discussed when your Honeywell thermostat needs a battery change and how to change batteries on different models of Honeywell thermostat. Therefore, stay with us!
When Should You Change Your Honeywell Thermostat Battery
Like mentioned, you should change your Honeywell thermostat battery when necessary. This is to avoid damaging your device or have it stop working temporarily. The good thing is that most Honeywell thermostats notifies the owner when the battery needs to be changed. In fact, most models notify you through an alert, 60 days before the battery is dead. Most models also displays the battery levels on the screen for reference. That way, you will easily know when to battery needs to be changed.
What Type Of Batteries Will You Find In Honeywell Thermostat
Honeywell thermostat uses a combination of AC power and AAA batteries. Also, some run on AA batteries. Note that most Honeywell thermostat runs on AC power and use batteries as an alternative when there is a power outage or when AC power has issues. Therefore, most of the batteries in Honeywell thermostat are expected to last for years.
What Tools Do You Need To Change Batteries On Honeywell Thermostat
Before grabbing your tools, it’s important to first know the model of a Honeywell thermostat you have. This is because different models have distinct ways of changing the battery. However, the most common tool needed is the screwdriver. To know the model of you device, follow these simple steps:
- Disconnect or isolate your device from the circuit to avoid any electrical accident.
- Pull your battery from the bottom to carefully remove it from the baseplate. Always avoid destroying the pins that are so crucial in keeping it intact.
- After, checkout your device’s model number either on the back or at the side of your thermostat.
- Place back your thermostat on the baseplate.
How To Change Batteries On A Honeywell Thermostat
Once you are aware of your thermostat’s model, you can now go ahead and change its battery. Since each model has different ways of replacing the battery, we will take you step by step on how to change batteries on different models of a Honeywell thermostat.
1) Honeywell thermostat 1000 and 2000 series
To change batteries in these models of Honeywell thermostat:
- Remove your thermostat from the circuit and turn it off
- Gently detach the cover plate from the baseplate
- Remove the old battery to change it
- Replace with a new battery
- Cross check to ensure the batteries are placed in the right polarity
- Place back the cover plate
- Connect your thermostat back to the circuit and start it
2) Honeywell thermostat 4000 series
To change this model’s battery:
- Turn off your device and remove it from the circuit for safety
- Put your fingers at the bottom of your device and gently pull it to remove the cover plate
- Remove your older AA batteries and replace with a newer one
- Ensure you have aligned your new batteries to the right polarity
- Place back the cover plate to its right place and slide inside the base plate until its firmly fixed
- Power on your thermostat and start using it
3) Honeywell thermostat 8000 series
This is a newer model of Honeywell thermostat that uses the AAA types of batteries. Although new and modern, changing its battery is similar to the older models. However, this model is distinct form the older model in a way that it entails two different ways of removing the battery depending on the design. Below are the two methods.
A) Hinge design method
- Disconnect your thermostat from the circuit and turn it off
- Gently place your fingers at the top of your thermostat and your thumbs at the base
- Unhook the faceplate from the baseplate hinges by gently pulling your thermostat upwards from the bottom
- Remove the older AAA battery
- Replace with a newer AAA battery
- Confirm that the batteries are aligned to the right polarity
- Put back your cover plate to bottom the base plate
- Realign the top hinges on the faceplate of your thermostat to the top hinges of your baseplate
- Gently push from the bottom to snap it back to place
- Connect your thermostat t the circuit and test whether it’s working
B) Basic pull design method
- Remove your device from the circuit and turn it off
- Place your hand on your thermostat faceplate
- Gently wiggle the faceplate to loosen it from the baseplate
- Remove your battery
- Change the battery with a newer battery and ensure its positioned well
- Put back the cover plate on the base plate by gently push the faceplate over the baseplate
- Power back your thermostat for use
4) Honeywell thermostat 6000 series
This is another great model of Honeywell thermostat that comes with more upgraded features compared to earlier models. However, this model uses AA batteries instead of AAA.
To change its batteries, follow the following simple steps.
- Turn your device off and remove it from the circuit
- At the top right corner of your thermostat, there is a battery holder. Gently pull the cover place to remove the battery holder
- Detach the battery holder and remove your older AA batteries
- Change and put back your new AA battery
- Once the batteries are aligned properly, slide back the battery holder to secure it in the base plate
- Power on your thermostat and test for use
In this page, we have described how to change batteries on a Honeywell thermostat. We have described four different models for comparison. Note that even after changing your Honeywell thermostat battery, it’s possible to still identify a low battery sign. However, give it a little time and the sign will automatically disappear.