Have you ever visited your colleague or friend’s house and envied their LED strip lights on the ceiling? The good thing is that you can easily have them in your own space. LED strip lights are crucial to investing in, as they glam and add flair to your space. Besides, these lights are easy to install and come with a fantastic combination of colors as per your preference. However, they are also available in a single-color mode with adjustable brightness. For installation, these lights are normally placed overhead on the ceiling to create appealing and brilliant lighting. I have these lights in my space and as a result, I get a lot of queries about how I installed them. To make it easier for everyone, I came up with this guide on how to install LED strip lights on the ceiling without crown molding.
Types of LED Strip Lights Available
When installing your LED strip lights, the very first step is to know your type of light. This is because there are different types of strip lights and each performs better in certain settings than the other. Below are the types of LED strip lights available.
- SMD LEDs: In other words, Surface Mounted Device LED are lights with bulbs that incorporates SMD chips for brighter lighting. They are the latest generation types of LED lights and are mostly found in offices and homes.
- COB LEDs: Chip on Board is also a new generation LED technology with a steady beam of regulated light thus superior optics. This lighting produces more lighting than SMD and has a higher lumen-to-watt ratio.
- RGB LEDs: This is a type of LED lighting that comes with a combo of red, blue, and green emitters to power it. Normally, these three colors are mixed in a certain ratio, to achieve a preferred color.
- Graphene LEDs: This is a type of LED light that comes with a graphene-coated bulb on the filament. These types of bulbs are more efficient and less expensive compared to standard LED bulbs.
How To Install LED Strip Lights On Ceiling Without Crown Molding
As mentioned earlier, the process of installing LED strip lights on the ceiling without crown molding is easy and straightforward. However, you will need a measuring tape and a close-range power outlet. Below is the process:
- Select your lighting: As stated, there are several options of strip lights to select from. Since different lightings perform better in certain settings than others, you should identify your specific type of strip LED light. Also, your type of lighting will depend on your space. I mean, some lights are ideal for bedrooms with others for the kitchen and dining area.
- Plan your route: Here, identify the route that your LED strip will take. With a tape measure, take the length of the whole area that your strip lights will need to cover. Always remember to take into account the curves and corners along your route. Since LED strips vary in length, go ahead and select the one that coincides with your measured distance.
- Prepare for installation: Here, you should identify your type of ceiling. As the texture and type of ceiling determine your method of attaching the LEDs strip lights. For instance, extra strong double-sided tape is the best solution to fix strips on a smooth ceiling or areas with high temperatures.
- Install your lights on the ceiling: Once you are ready with everything, you can proceed to install your LED strip lights on the ceiling without crown molding. Luckily, some high-quality strips come with adhesive sticks on the back that need you to just peel and stick along the perimeter of your ceiling. This is the easiest installation you can encounter. However, other strips need an external double-sided tape that requires you to adhere to the strip and then to your ceiling. This is ideal for owners with porous ceilings.
- Connect Your Strips To Power: Once you are done with installing your LED strips, you can now use an additional cable to connect your LEDs to an outlet and turn it on to light your LED bulbs. If you haven’t handled any wiring before, you can ask your local electrician for assistance
Tips for Troubleshooting
If you’re having trouble installing LED strip lights, these tips can help.
- First, make sure you have the correct tools. You’ll need a drill, a screwdriver, and some wire cutters.
- Next, trace the outline of the light fixture onto the wall using a pencil. Use the drill to make a hole in the center of the traced outline. Then use the screwdriver to screw in the light fixture’s mounting screws.
- Finally, connect the wires from your light fixture to your power source using the wire cutters. Make sure that each light has its own individual wire connection.
Factors To Consider Before Installing Your LED Strip Lights On The Ceiling Without Crown Molding
- Type of lights: When installing your strips, you should consider your type of lights. LED strip lights fully change your room’s ambiance. Therefore, different types of lights are ideal for different rooms. For instance, your bedroom needs a colored ambient type of lighting.
- Power outlet positioning: You don’t want to scatter cables all over your space. Therefore, you should always consider an outlet that is closest possible to the ending tip of your strip.
- Ventilation: When installing your LED Strip lights, your setup should be in a well-ventilated space that receives an adequate flow of air. Always avoid suffocating your strips for longevity.
In our guide, we have exhaustively described how to install LED strip lights on the ceiling without crown molding. Now that you know all the secrets, select your lighting style, and room for installation and glam your room through the process explained above.