Smoke and carbon monoxide alarm is a life saving device that helps to detect the presence of smoke and carbon monoxide gas in a room, house or building simultaneously. There are several brands and models of these devices in the market. Among many, kidde is one of the most reputable brand out there.
Kidde smoke and carbon monoxide alarm is a dual alarm that uses a combination of smoke and carbon monoxide sensors. The two sensors work together to detect the presence smoke fire, CO gas or both. However, these devices have a few shortcomings. One of them is causing false alarm which is triggered by a number of factors. One of the most effective remedy to this shortcoming is resetting your device.
How? In our guide today, we will help you understand how to reset kidde smoke and carbon monoxide alarm step by step. Therefore, read through to the end.
Reasons To Reset Kidde Smoke And Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Below are some of the reasons to reset your unit.
1) If your kidde smoke and carbon monoxide alarm keeps beeping randomly
For no apparent reasons, your kidde smoke and carbon monoxide alarm can start chirping randomly. However, that doesn’t mean that the alarm is malfunctioned. Sometimes, random chirping of the alarm is caused by minor factors that can be rectified easily. For instance, factors like improper battery installation, food smoke, change in environmental conditions among others. Such factors are rectified easily with no need to reset your alarm.
On the other hand, false and random alarm chirping caused by processors that retain some errors should be rectified through resetting the alarm. Fortunately, the process of resetting the alarm is so easy and straight forward.
2) If your kidde smoke and carbon monoxide alarm keep going off
If your kidde smoke and carbon monoxide alarm keeps going off, then your life might be in danger. This is because such an alarm won’t help you when an emergency occurs. Therefore, you should immediately reset an alarm that keeps going off. However, note that some alarms keep going off if the batteries are low or faulty. This requires you to charge or change the batteries.
3) After changing the battery
Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are made to produce a chirping sound when the battery is low or dead. However, it’s most likely that some alarms will retain the error and continue chirping even after changing the battery. Therefore, you should reset the alarm even after changing the battery to clear this error.
How To Reset Kidde Smoke And Carbon Monoxide Alarm
The process of resetting a kidde smoke and carbon monoxide alarm depends with its type. Basically, there are two types of kidde smoke and carbon monoxide alarm the AC and DC. AC unit means power enabled while DC are battery enabled smoke and carbon monoxide alarm. Below are detailed processes on how to reset these alarms.
1) Reset AC Kidde Smoke And Carbon Monoxide Alarm
As mentioned, this is smoke and carbon monoxide alarm that is power enabled. However, it is designed with a battery for backup. To reset:
- Switch off your alarm’s power. This happens at the circuit breaker.
- Next, remove your smoke and carbon monoxide alarm from the wall bracket to disconnect it from power.
- Remove your alarm’s battery.
- Check out your alarm’s reset button.
- Press and hold on t for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Your unit will chirp for a short time and later go silent.
- Reinstall your battery.
- Reconnect your unit to power for use.
Note: always avoid to reset your unit with the power is switched on. Also, you shouldn’t reset the unit with batteries installed.
2) Reset DC Kidde Smoke And Carbon Monoxide Alarm
DC is a battery powered alarm that uses no power source to operate. To reset this unit, follow the following steps:
- Remove your unit’s battery
- On the unit’s reset button, hold and press for 15 to 20 minutes
- Wait until the unit chirps for few second as it goes silent
- Reinstall and connect your battery to the unit for use.
3) Importance Of Resetting Your Kidde Smoke And Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- It helps to stop random beeping
- It helps to ensure the alarm system is in a good working condition
- Helps to detect any battery malfunctioning
- Helps you to know when the battery is dead and need to be replaced
- Helps you to detect that the entire alarm is faulty and needs to be replaced
Kidde smoke and carbon monoxide detector is an important unit to have at home. The device plays a huge role in identifying the presence of smoke or carbon monoxide gas causing it to beep and alert the residents. However, some of these units have processors that holds errors triggering a false alarm. Therefore, you should reset your unit to solve out such mistake. In our page above, we have explained in details how to reset kidde smoke and carbon monoxide alarm. Follow the procedures and reset your unit.